Out and About: Weeks Fly By

I've been caught up in the game notes, game advance, game recap, apply for jobs cycle the past few weeks so I'm past due for an update from the road. Fortunately, the Redbirds are on a three-weekend stretch of home series, although big work ahead next Saturday for a televised game against Wichita State. Here's a few tidbits from Illinois State's most recent road trip to Omaha, Neb., a jaunt that produced the first series sweep of Creighton in school history.

April 9-11, 2010 - Omaha, Neb.

After roughing it at the Holiday Inn in Gainesville, the Birds classed it up a bit with a weekend at the DoubleTree in downtown Omaha. Here's the view from the 19th floor - somewhere close to the Warren Buffet Suite I would assume.

One of the national collegiate baseball writers based in Omaha suggested we eat at a Cajun restaurant called Jazz. Like I've mentioned before on the blog, we like to roll the dice and sample the local fare wherever we are, so despite my disdain for Cajun food, we went. I can now say that I've given it the old college try, and don't need to again! It wasn't awful...just not my thing. Nice live Blues band though. We didn't have the chance to try Ted and Wally's for ice cream, but we did drive by.

I took this shot to prove to my wife, Brooksie, that it's not all cheeseburgers and french fries on the road. I do want to live past 45. My friend Thomas and I hit the salad bar at Spaghetti Works. Good salad, but average Spaghetti Works. We carried some groceries for a lady who suggested M's Pub, or something like that...should have taken her advice.

Creighton usually plays its ball games at Rosenblatt Stadium, home of the NCAA College World Series, but the Omaha Royals were in town so we played at the CU Sports Complex. That didn't stop us from making a detour and checking out the O-Royals against the Memphis Redbirds. I had the opportunity to interview former Illinois State Redbird Matt Herges, a reliever for the Royals.




0 comments: