Winged Birds (10.09.09)

I made a to-do list this morning while waiting for the bus. I had a little extra time since I missed my first option, the Red-B at 8:20. It seems I was hesitant to buy into the department's jeans day declaration. It just didn't feel right and I had to change. Regardless, I missed the bus and had a half an hour to kill while waiting for the Yellow-G (You'll learn a lot about Bloomington-Normal Public Transit throughout this blog - but more on that later).

I rarely make to-do lists but it felt good to identify and knock out some little projects today. It seems lately I've been so swamped with big items, it's hard to see any progress. I knocked out five of the six tasks before lunch and was fired up for the last item, some graphics and a static html page for the ISU men's basketball virtual media day.

Next Thursday (Oct. 15) we'll have our second virtual media day, to which the entire world is invited via the web (GoRedbirds.com). We did our first for football this fall and had some great questions and feedback from the fans. The page is set up to host a live chat, while also broadcasting live video in an adjacent box. I start with an introduction for a player or coach to be interviewed, then ask an opening question, before the readers take control with their questions. Pretty fun idea that we picked up from the Portland Trailblazers. It puts the fans in control, and gives them access to an event that used to be for media only.

Anyhow, the exciting part part for me was creating these graphics. I was messing around, trying to emulate a Lebron poster when I accidentally used one of the wing brushes on the page instead of another ornamental brush. I think it worked out pretty well. Of course I had a great shot of Osiris Eldridge to work with from the beginning.

0 comments: